While I was studying my MBA, I used to think that we should have a common technical platform where we can meet our old friends, relatives and so on. We were using Orkut with the same concept. But, after five years I came across a platform called “Facebook”. Worldwide, there are over 2.23 billion monthly active Facebook users for Q2 2018 (Facebook MAUs) which is an 11 percent increase year over year. it proved to be a platform for anyone to share, give an opinion, like the skills, content, etc. Whatever be the occasion people are sharing everything on the facebook wall. Not only Facebook, but we are also now connected with huge social networks like Instagram, Twitter & moreover whats app, etc. As of June 2018. mobile photo-sharing network had reached 1 billion monthly active users, up from 800 million in September 2017. (Statista.com).
It is really a great platform for organizations to reach their target audience within a short period of time. Social Media Marketing is a platform where people share and like the content which they like most. It is from the research found that 75% of people in social media love to share the posted content if they really like it. It is the same old “#wordofmouth” marketing but the difference is that we are making it online (#viralmarketing). It is Word of mouth marketing powered by online technology to build the brand in a short span of time. Thanks to the Internet that we are hitting our target numbers on time. Social Media Marketing is the platform or online technical tool used to build the relationship, attract customers and keep in touch with them. It is a great way to generate leads, repeat business or even get referrals and prospects also.
The benefits can be, it is free and you can reach a huge number of audience with one post. According to research, 73% of small and medium business organizations have started their social media marketing at an early stage. I believe it is really a great and competitive marketing tool for startups without spending any amount of money on marketing campaigns. It was really a tough task for the marketers in the earlier days to spread the awareness for the brand. But now marketers can easily spread the word and build a brand online at low cost. Even though there are paid promoting tools in social media, several businesses uses free postings to market their products and services.
Most of the business organizations’ motto is to achieve profit and reduce costs. Social media marketing really helps organizations to reduce the cost of marketing and increase sales leads. It can be a point of sale or a platform for new and existing customers. Social Media Marketing (SMM) really increases your website traffic. It is a supporting tool or link for your website to increase the online presence and branding. The presence of automation in social media has given a boost to the current trend of startups to promote their brands through various social media channels.
In short what can be the benefits for social media marketing?
- Digital Brand building– Building the brand online is easier through Social Media. As long as you buzz your name, slogan, services, and products online you build your brand. Make sure you do not make it clumsy.
- Low-Cost Marketing – There is no need to spend huge money on marketing campaigns, At a very low budget, you can achieve your results. If you have everything ready such as IT infrastructure with you then you need not spend huge amounts for marketing campaigns on social media unless and until it is a paid campaign.
- Wide Reach– As seen in the above statistics, the Presence of a huge number of people in social media makes you reach a large number of target audience base.
- Boost website traffic– Once you are on social media, people will surely love to visit your website. And if you are succeeded in social media then for sure your website traffic graph will increase. That means a number of conversions.
- Trusted Link Building and Page rank– As per the current algorithmic rules of SEO you need good & trusted links to optimize your website. Social Media links can help you to increase backlinks which in turn can increase page rank for your website.
- Search Engine Optimization– Sometimes the posted content or keywords in social media like Instagram, Facebook, Twitter & Pinterest can be a helpful tool in search engine optimization. If the search query and your posted keyword matched with the social media post that you have done in these channels then the search engine will try to crawl it and show the results.
- Lead Generation– You can find sales leads, repeat business, and new customers in social media by interacting with your audience.
Here are few of the statistics about SMM:
- 89% of respondents said that social media marketing has generated more business exposure
- 64% saw lead generation increase by using social media 6 hours or less per day
- 69% of marketers use social media to gather marketplace intelligence
- 62% of marketers using social media for 2+ years reported a rise in search engine rankings
- 62% of businesses with 10 employees or less reported that social media has reduced marketing expenses
As discussed in the above these are a few of the benefits through social media marketing. There is an even a good number of advantages through Social Media Marketing. But, if you are not doing it properly then there might be chances of fall down of brand value and reputation management. It is suggested to understand the working of social media marketing before implementing it in your company. Try to consult with social media marketing experts or hire a social media marketer for better results.
SEO- Search Engine Optimization
SMM- Social Media Marketing
Data Resource- Chadwick Martin Bailey Consumer Pulse 2010, Socialmediatoday.com, Statista.com.